KutuCG launched!



Well, after almost 2 week work, I finally made it online. kutuCG is an Indonesian CG forum. Yes.. you may probably ask.. why create another forum while we already have the largest indocg.com?

It started when IndoCG was down due to the database overload, I wasn't really sure what's happening but this is roughly what I got from Soyuz from Mediavisi, ICG ex-hosting company. Since Rey, ICG founder and administrator didnt want the site to be down for so many days, he decided to move the entire content to another server. The first time it landed in Lunarpages which claimed to provide unlimited bandwidth, but unable to delivered so. With dissapointment, Rey had to move over the server to another hosting again. This time I wasn't really sure but I suspect it's Techscape. The problem came when transferring huge database and files over to another server. The size was roughly 3GB and upon transferring, some files were corrupted or internet was disconnected. This is what you guys in IndoCG are experiencing now. Rey had to setup a new forum with old database, hence all the customization which was done before are not synchronizing anymore. Some links, images, plugins, and custom pages are not working anymore. Stuff like image upload, Private message, are not working anymore...

This problem frustate him, I understand it's not easy to manage such big forum, we as moderators tried to help, but unfortunately it's not in the right time. Everybody was busy, including me. I was in about the end of my semester and got bunch of school work to do. Rey is married and has family now, and he also a flash game studio, which made him busier than before, therefore paying less attention to the forum.

Well, I love ICG. I grew from it. I knew so many people from it. After a long internal discussion, it is very difficult to decide what and where ICG is going toward. Option one, we moderators tend to donate some money and purchase commercial forum software, so it can handle large scale community better, but in return we should have access to the backend, and since Rey himself is not an active founder anymore, he's not listed in management team, although he still remain as founder. In simple word, We took over ICG. Second option, Rey himself buy the commercial forum, and let us take care of the content, he remain less active. Most moderators felt unfair on the second option. We do love to do voluntary work, keeping and managing the forum and such, but given that option, I suddenly lost my will and interest. Furthermore, he's invisible and absent from internal discussion, leaving the decision questioned *and he's still absent till now, although he promised something's gonna change after xmas.

Without backend access, we mods can't do anything. We can only overview forum. And with his absence, everything becomes difficult. Speaking of which the forum still can't open registrations due to spam bot and such. This forum is going nowhere. Where's the fun of speed modeling challenge? daily sketch? speed painting? I guess most of the moderators felt the way I do.

So I discussed this issue with Soyuzno from Mediavisi, and I'm glad he's happy to help. He's willing to support hosting for me to create a new forum. After few discussions with some mods and friends, we decided to create kutuCG.com

I understand some of you guys, even myself sometimes prefer to visit worldwide CG forum, such as CGtalk, Threedy, Gameartisans, DA and others. I was thinking and hesitant to create another forum. But, isn't it a shame we Indonesian artists do not have a place to hangout online, a place called home?

Learning from past and mistakes, I hope I can manage this forum better. It is not aiming to be the largest or ICG replacement or whatsoever, but I believe one day I could bring back those moment I had in ICG few years ago.





This time, it's a forum by artists for artists, and I hope in this forum, we can work hard, play harder.

I welcome you to KUTUCG.com

Comments

  1. Paling tidak ya aku berterima kasih sama om Rey yang udah berjasa besar bagi CG Indonesia. Banyak kenangan dan ilmu yang didapat dari ICG, ya meskipun aku nggak pernah ikut gathering sih.
    Oke deh, sukses buat semuanya! Terima kasih kk Elte! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 AM

    Sebagaimana peran suatu forum dari sebuah komunitas cg sebagai akselerator perkembangan cg, so ICG dirasakan udah sangat berperan sebagai akselerator perkembangan CG di negeri ini.Sangat disayangkan kalo sekiranya ICG jadi nggak jelas 'nowhere'-nya dan akhirnya down (semoga tidak terjadi). Kalo liat forum cg india, rasanya kita pantas untuk jealous.
    Buat KutuCG.com smoga bisa menjadi akselerator dengan visi dan misi yang lebih fresh dari yg sudah ada saat ini.
    Thanks buat bung elte yang punya keinginan memajukan cg di tanah air. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Swap alt<->command(windows logo) in boot camp mac keyboard

Blend shape attach head to the body